February 28th, 2017 - 8:00PM
Union Arena - Woodstock, VT
Box Score
Game ID: 1187

In the Whalen Cup finals we had the #3 seed Tuck vs. the #4 Lumberjacks. Both teams come into this week after playing great hockey and upsetting the higher seeds of their games. The Jacks upset defending champs and #1 seed Gamblers, whereas Tuck upset the #2 Blues.  In the opening minute the Jacks came out fast and took it to Tuck right away as Jordan McGee put the Jacks up just 42 seconds into the game.  Tuck wouldn't hang their heads after giving up a quick goal as Tuck's Mark Rinaldi would tie the game at 1-1 22 seconds later (13:54).  Both teams would settle down after two quick goals in the period, it was the Jacks who would continue to put the pressure on Tuck as Jordan McGee would score his second of the night at 8:03 to put the Jacks up 2-1.  The Jacks would add another goal before the period was over but this time it was from Tim Patten and the assist went to Jordan McGee with 3:04 remaining in the period.  The Jacks looked to be in control of this game after one as they would take a 3-1 lead into the second period. 

In the second period Tuck made some adjustments as well as picked up their play which would finally show on the scoreboard when Tuck's Mark Rinaldi would notch his second goal of the game at 11:25 mark.  Tuck would continue to pressure the Jacks who would get the Tuckies a power play but the Jacks were able to kill it off.  Although the Jacks killed the penalty Tuck gained some more momentum and kept the pressure on as Tuck's Manny Venzina would tie the score 3-3 with 3:02 remaining.  The period would end with the scored tied 3-3 and it seems that Tuck had all the momentum on their side heading into the third. 

In the third Tuck continued to pressure the Jacks which would eventually get them their first lead of the night as Dan Gregg would put Tuck up 4-3 with 12:13 remaining in the period.  Tuck would keep firing shots and testing the Jacks Chris Pelkey but he was turning away good scoring chances and keeping his team in the game. After going down 4-3 the Jacks started to play with some urgency as well as take some more odd man chances, it would eventually payoff for the Jacks when Sean Murphy tied the game at 4-4 with 5:22 remaining in the period.  Although the game was tied and both teams were battling for the Whalen Cup, it was Tuck's Mark Rinaldi who would score his third goal of the night with 3:37 left in the game.  Tuck would take a penalty with 2:15 remaining in the game and the Jacks got some good chance but it was Tuck who would win this year’s Whalen Cup by the score of 5-4.  


Note: This is Tucks 4th Whalen cup in 5 years and 7th overall since 2004. 





© 2003-2019 Upper Valley Hockey League.
Website design & maintenance by Kelly Andrew Park